Wednesday, July 7, 2010

displaying family heirlooms

My parents had these old baby utensils in thier utensil drawer. I remember using them when I was little because I thought they were so pretty and different.

The small one with the bent over stem was given to my mom when she was pregnant with me and the others were my dad's as a baby. I decided I would give them a little more recognition than they were getting in my parents silverware drawer so I decided to frame them. I took 3 frames I already had, some leftover muslin that looks a lot like linen, and my hot glue gun and began working...






I cut the muslin a little bigger than the glass of the frame and wrapped it around the glass securing it with hot glue...







Then I placed it back into the frame and it gave me a great background to display my vintage baby silverware on...



I hot glued the silverware right onto the fabric wrapped glass insert (it can easily be peeled off, I did this a few times due to not aligning them evenly with each other)...










Right now they are hanging on the wall in my kitchen but I'm not sure if I will keep them there or try them in a different area. I would love to find a large, skinny vintage frame to put around all 3 to make it look a little more complete since right now I'm thinking it is missing something... I'll keep you updated!




Well it finally looks like a sunny nice weathered day so I will be taking advantage of it by playing with the kids outside, we've been stuck in the house for almost 2 weeks with all the rain we have been having! Hope the weather is looking good in your area too!

p.s.- yesterday I had trouble with my blog appearance and have changed it but somewhere in the mess I ended up losing all the comments from my previous posts...does anyone know how to fix this and get them back?


~Megan



I'm linking to:



Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden



<br />http://www.thethriftyhome.com

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I like that. I have some old silverware from my grandmother that I might do that with!

Dee said...

So cute. I framed my boys first pair of baby Levi Jeans and baby Nikes. Sooooo cute!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to do this - but I only have one piece of old silverware! It looks fantastic.

LUCKY 7 DESIGN said...

really nice idea.....