Friday, July 9, 2010

A new color for the hutch

I found this hutch about 2 years ago on Criagslist while looking for something to put on an empty wall in our dining room of our old house. I fell in love with it! It needed a lot of work but I was up for a challenge, even if I did have a 2 month old at the time. I decided to paint it black and we added a beadboard back to it where it was open before.



I loved it at the time but recently have felt it needed a facelift. I figured I could just paint the back to give it a new look so I went with Breezy from SW.





It turned out just a bit too blue against the black and I wasn't too thrilled about it. So I decided I would just paint the entire thing! I mixed my own cutom color with other colors I had and began painting. I was going for a creamy, milky, greyish taupe color...



I did some distressing to it, you know to hide the niks my kids will put in it while playing...







The color resembles the color I mixed for the leather top table project.



I love it now and think it completely lightens up the room and now has a completely new feel to it! The back is a slightly darker shade of grey.

And this time I had a 3 1/2 month old keeping me company while painting, he actually seemed pretty interested in what I was doing most of the time!



Have you noticed a new gadget on my side bar? I opened up an etsy shop! Go ahead take a look around. I need to add some more things, hopefully by later tonight those things will be up, if not then and definitely by the end of the weekend so keep checking!



~Megan



I'm linking this to:









Furniture Feature Fridays



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

10 comments:

Lisa said...

The hutch looks fabulous and I love that shade of blue, so peaceful!
Blessings,
Lisa
www.trinity-house.com

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

It looks really lovely! Wonderful job!
~visiting from JAG
Angie

Wendy said...

Love the shade of blue you picked! It looks great. I am looking for a hutch and was thinking I would paint is white, but maybe blue would look better...thanks for the inpiration :)
Wendy

Nikki said...

The greyish taupe was a great choice. Very light and fresh!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good...your color turned out great...luv the beadboard back! Coming by from SNS!

Blessings,
Linda

Funky Junk Interiors said...

LOVE the new colour! I can see how a big piece like this could take over a room if dark. I think you made a fabulous call and your arrangements look wonderful!

Donna

Boston Bee said...

Awesome job with the new color. It's just amazing what paint can do?! Love your blog. Come on over to Boston Bee when you get a chance. Would love to share ideas ;)Alyssa of BB

Stephanie said...

Wow that is gorgeous! It was really pretty before, but looks so custom now. Great idea!

~Carrie from Cottage Cozy~ said...

That turned out beautifully...

Shannon said...

Loving the new look of the hutch!
Shannon
www.akadesign.ca