Friday, July 16, 2010

A thrift store dresser makeover

This is a post from my old blog that I thought I would share on this one... The anniversary of finding this piece is coming up so what better time to share it again!...

So the week after I found out I was pregnant again I came across this tired old dresser at my local Goodwill. I had been looking for a new dresser to go into our bedroom since we were in desperate need of some more clothing storage and after being in our house for over 3 years had still failed to get one for our bedroom. There was no price tag on it and guessing from the prices of other big items in the store I figured it was out of the budget I wanted to pay but decided to ask someone anyways. I almost screamed when she told me it was for sale at a price of $8! I told her I would take it before she could finish what she was saying.



Overall it had good structure and wasn't in too bad of shape. The top was in need of some repair due to some scrathing and chipping but I knew for $8 I could take on the challenge with child or not.


The drawers were all in pretty good condition and no major defects on them. So after much sanding, priming, sanding, painting, and more sanding, my new tired old dresser went from this to...



(there's really not that much discoloration in person as is showing up in the photos for some reason)

this! I went for a distressed finish and choose a different color for the top from the base and drawers. I love how it came out!




(future big brother checking out the contact paper I placed in the drawers)

The top I stained American Wlanut and the base and drawers I painted Vermont Cream by Behr which we had left over from when we painted the cabinets in our kitchen when we first moved in. the combination is just what I was going for!


The hardware was pretty old looking. They went from these dingy brass colored pieces to...



these oil rubbed bronze bin pull pieces (total $9 from ebay) on the top 2 drawers (which are styled different from the other 4 drawers)...



and these oil rubbed bronze handles on the bottom 4 drawers (which I already had).





Again a picture of the tired old dresser before the makeover....


and my new pretty and distressed french country looking dresser afterwards! All for a total of about $20 give or take a $1. And I was able to finish it all, minus the new bin pull hardware that I just finally got a couple weeks ago, before my nausea kicked in from the pregnancy.




Although I bought this dresser with the plan of placing it in our bedroom for more storage, I'm thinking I will now use it in the new baby's room for clothes, blankets, extra storage, and use the top as a diaper changing table. I plan to purchase one of those contour diaper pads to place on top along with one or two pretty baskets to hold the diapers and cream. I can't wait to move and begin decorating the nursery!

For pictures of the finished nursery you can go here... although I'm already in the middle of changing a few things, more on that to come later!


~Megan




linked to:


Visit thecsiproject.com

2 comments:

Kate@TwentySixToLife said...

You did a great job with this! I love that the top is a darker color than the drawers.

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

What a fantastic job you did! I LOVE the two tone! What a great redo!! :)