Thursday, September 2, 2010

Finding Fall- Day 2: Fall Topiaries

Here are two different and easy to make Fall inspired topiaries.

......

For the first you will need some acorns (mine are faux and from Khol's but you could use real ones too), a styrofoam ball (size small from the dollar store), some flower foam, moss, a dowel, brown paint, a teracotta pot, and a glue gun.

Of course some little helpers are always good too!

Begin putting a dab of hot glue on the top of your acorn...

And then push it down on to your styrofoam ball...

And repeat... a lot...
Until it is covere din acorns (if I did this again I would probably paint the ball brown first since you can see a little of the styrofoam through the acorns, but it's not too bad)...

Now set that aside and get ready for the next topiary. This one could really be used for any season but it looks good next to the acorn one. You will need all the same things as the first except substitute the acorns for book pages and add some scisors... This topiary was inspired by my recent book page wreath I did...


You could use any sized pages but I cut mine into 4's and it worked well...

Take a pen (yeah you need one of those too, or something to puncture holes into the ball with), and put a bunch of holes in the ball all over...

Then take your cut up pages and begin rolling them or ruffling them however you like and twisting them together at the bottom so that it can be stuck down into the holes you just made in the ball. I made sure the torn side of the page or the outside side of the page were on top instead of the cut sides for some interest.

I must have forgot to take a picture because I don't have one but put some hot glue on the twisty side of your rolled page and stick into the holes.


Repeat over and over again until it is completely filled. (leave a little area on both topiaries to place the "stem"...


Take a dowel and cut it to the length you wish your topiaries to stand plus some extra to be stuck into the ball and pot...


Again forgot to take a picture but paint your dowel brown, or whatever color you want, or you can even leave it it's natural color...


Then take some of the flower foam and cut it so that it fits nice and snug into your teracotta pot...
Then take the dowel and insert it into the topiary ball on one end and the pot on the other...

Use some moss to cover up the green foam and attach it with some hotglue...


You'll end up with these...


This one I think would be pretty as a centerpiece for a wedding too...


Wouldn't they look pretty on a mantel, too bad we don't have one! For now they are on our breakfast bar accompanied by a red apple...

These do take a little while to make, especially the book page topiary, but they're fun and so worth the time. (a tip with the book page, roll all of your little pages up first and then hot glue them otherwise your glue gun will be on forever!).

......

Don't forget about the giveaway!



See how to enter here.



~Megan




linked to:

The Shabby Nest

UndertheTableandDreaming



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/

The Inspired Room

11 comments:

Michmashed said...

I really love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kelley said...

very cute.
I just found a bag of spanish moss and a huge bag of pine cones at a garage sale yesterday for $1.00. I was thinking they would make nice topiarys. Thanks for the idea.

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Thank you for sharing and for the tutorial, they look great! I was looking for some acorns but didn't know they had them also at Kohl's. :)

Maggie said...

wow this is beautiful, I have several pots I can put to good use..
Maggie
http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com
Lots of giveaways :)

Terrell said...

These are seriously priceless! Especially since you had some cute little helpers! They're fantastic! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I'd also like to invite you to link your wonderful creations up at my weekly party, Fabulous Friday Finds, every Friday! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Heather Ritchie said...

I really, really love this!! I am so going to make some for my home now. I found you through the inspired room nesting party and I'm glad I did because you sent inspiration my way! Thanks again.

.heather.

southerninspirationsblog said...

I have a thing for topiaries, especially Fall ones! Really love that book page one, it is so unique and pretty! I have a stack of books on the great room floor ready for a garage sale, think I might pull one out and play today :). Thanks for the inspiration!

Erin said...

Those are adorable!!

I've been looking for acorns! I'm going to have to check out Kohl's. Hobby Lobby's were too expensive for my taste. :)

Diane said...

OMGosh, I love the topiaries. Love working with book pages so I'm sure I will be trying that one. Thanks for the inst.

Autumn said...

Very much like something I've been wanting to do. Such a cute idea, and such sweet helpers!
xx,
Autumn Clark

sabakose said...

Sooo cute .. love these and totally love Kohls. :-)

Sandra