Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tis the Season Day 7: the 2010 trend ornament.

I thought I had this scheduled to go out earlier, my bad. Here it is!

Paper and glitter ornaments seem to be the trend this year. Here is one I designed for our family's 2010 ornament.



What you need:

an old book
hot glue
fabric scraps
glittered letters or numbers (found at craft stores in the scrapbook dept.}
some pretty ribbon
a hole punch

(I forgot to take pictures of the beginning. It's pretty easy to understand and if you have trouble let me know and I will see if I can snap some for these first few steps)

Begin with 2 sheets from an old book (approx 5x7). Rip both in half long ways. Now you should have 4 pieces of paper.

Fold each one accordion-like from top to bottom.

Glue the ends together to form one long piece (I like the ripped sides all on one side together and facing out for the next step).

Glue the 2 remaining sides together so you form a circle. Glue a scrap piece of paper over the middle to help hold it in shape on both sides. It should now look like this.

Cut a piece of fabric a little smaller than your finished accordion folded circle.
Attach to the accordion circle with hot glue.

Take a glittered letter and attach with hot glue on top of the fabric circle.

Pick out some pretty ribbon.
Punch a hole on top of the paper circle and string the ribbon through and knot it.
Now you have a cute homemade ornament personalized for you and your family.
These would make cute gift toppers as well. Or put the year on it as your annual ornament for this year!



Have you begun your baking yet? Don't forget to join us for the Holiday Cookie {Recipe} exchange linky party here on December 7 {and it doesn't have to be limited to just cookies}!



~Megan

3 comments:

DanielleisNesting said...

Ooooh! I love this. Great colors!

Sereina said...

Those are so neat! I love the book pages.

Hattie said...

Cuuuuute! I love the fan shape. I'm also feeling the book page look this year :-)