Friday, October 7, 2011

a weekend treat: chocolate chip pumpkin cake.

I LOVE baking! Hubby wishes I would do less of it, so he wouldn't eat as much, and the kids wish I would do more of it. I try to bake at least once a week, usually Sundays. My mom told me once she used to bake a pie every Sunday, I guess that's where I get it from. Well on Wednesday my parents came over to see the new place, and the kids, and have dinner. Growing up we never had guests over for dinner without having some sort of dessert. I have seen variations of a pumpkin cake going around blogland so I decided to give my try at my own variation. Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake!
Last year I read a recipe from this inspiring blog about chocolate chip pumpkin muffins. We all loved them but the batter only created a few mini muffins. I decided I wanted to try and make that same taste into a cake.

All it took was a box of yellow cake mix, follow the directions on back. Then once it is all mixed together, pour in a whole can of pumpkin, not the pie filling but actual pumpkin. And if you are a chocolate lover like our family add some chocolate chips to it, I added about half of one of those giant bags, so probably about one of the normal sized bags.

It took about 30 min longer to bake than the normal cake directions said it would so keep watch over it while it is in the oven and keep checking it for your knife to come out clean {minus some chocolate if you poke into a chip}.

For the glaze I used 2 cups of sifted sugar mixed with 1 tbs of butter {softened}, and about 6 tbs of milk {give or take}, until I came up with a consistency I liked. Once the cake was cooled and on my sweet stand, I drizzled the glaze over top. I also scooped some from the puddle on the dish onto the cake before serving it so there would be more glaze on the cake and not the serving dish.

It was a HUGE hit! Which is why you are only seeing a slice of it. My camera battery was dead when I went to take a picture of the cake in it's entirety before we dug into it. There's not much left at this point.

I'll definitely be making this again this season. And if you feel bad about going in for seconds or giving your kids a lot of cake, just remember all the pumpkin in it! That's what I keep telling myself when I find that my plate has been refilled with a second slice or the kids beg me for more. And don't say I didn't warn you once you take your first bite! Do I have you hungry yet? Enjoy your weekend!

~Meg

{linked to parties above and Tasty Tuesday }

3 comments:

Lara said...

Hi Meg :-)

OMgoodness that cake looks SOOO good! I need to have to make that! Will be sure to LYK how it turns out! Happy friday~

A Vintage Vine said...

That looks so delish, thanks for sharing!

Sally said...

Hi, I’m a new Follower of your blog and I just gave you a Versatile Blogger Award over at Love of Homes. Please stop by & see who else got the award & maybe become my newest follower. Thanks! The cake looks yummy!
Sally