Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fall Comfort Food: corn casserole and mozzarella chicken.

The second recipe I'll share with you today is one I received from my husband's side of the family and another one I just made on a whim one day. Corn Casserole and Mozzarella Chicken:

Corn Casserole:

1 can of cream style corn
1 can of whole sweet corn with juice
2 eggs
1/4 cup of sugar
1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of butter, melted

*mix all ingredients together in a bowl, then pour into a 13x9 casserole dish.

*cook for 1 hour on 350 deg.


Mozzarella Chicken:

3-4 chicken breasts or cutlets
shredded mozzarella cheese
chicken broth
white wine
bread crumbs
1 egg
a splash of milk

*tenderize chicken and cut each in half.

*mix the egg and milk in a shallow bowl and dip the chicken into it.

*cover chicken with the bread crumbs.

*brown chicken in some oil on the stove. Then place in casserole dish.

*once all chicken is browned and in the dish, add the broth and white wine to the pan you browned them in and heat until boiling. {I use a chicken broth that has white wine in it already. I also do quite a bit because I like to use the broth mixture over pasta the next day. So eye it and use the amount you wish to make}

*pour the broth over the chicken, then place a heaping pile of cheese on top of each piece of chicken.

*place in oven at 350 deg for about 30-35 min depending on what kind of chicken you have {breasts or cutlets}.

And yes I mentioned I was a vegetarian before. I occasionally eat chicken, I'll save the explanation for a later post.

We make the corn casserole as part of our meal for every holiday. We love it! I actually like it best the next day right out of the fridge. So good cold!

Enjoy!

~Meg

No comments: