Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tis the Season, Day 4: Old Fashion Decorations.

The first time I remember really noticing the use of decorative oranges during Christmas time was in a BHG magazine. I remember the house they featured looked like a log cabin with snow all around. All of the decorations they featured in the article were handmade looking and very rustic. Since then I've seen the oranges pop up in other homes, rustic and not. I decided I would take a turn at making some of these. Little did I know how great the smell is of these two simple things when they come together. There was a preview in this post.

All you need are some oranges {mine are actually tangerines, our grocery had a sale 10 for $1},
and some whole cloves.



All you have to do is poke the orange with the clove. It's up to you if you want to try a design or do it randomly. I did a little of both.

It was difficult to get the clove in some areas but for the most part it was pretty easy and fast.

I can't get over the smell of them! Every time I walk in the door or into the kitchen I'm greeted with their delicious fragrant.


Many people add ribbon to them and hang them from the tree. This is what they were originally made for back before there were "today's ornaments". I think I'll add them to our annual Christmas tradition list and make them each year!

Come back tomorrow for more Holiday fun!

~Meg

{linking to the parties below}

UndertheTableandDreaming



freckled laundry






Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special





Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party!








Chic on a Shoestring Decorating





Furniture Feature Fridays







Visit thecsiproject.com





giveaways







Transformation Thursday

















My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

















The Lettered Cottage






{Primp}


Photobucket


4 comments:

Michelle@ourwonderfilledlife.com said...

I am going to try this, I bet it smells amazing!!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

I have been doing pomanders at the holidays forever -- it just wouldn't be Christmas without them. Love how you've grouped yours with nuts :)

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

We used to make oranges with cloves in them every year at Christmas. Citrus is historically given as a traditional Christmas gift, a very special treat offered only a few times of year for most folks. I love using old fashioned, nostalgic decorations too :) Loving your blog!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I just made some orange pommanders last night. I just love the fresh spicy aroma!