Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pottery Barn sham re-do.

About a month or so ago the little one, in a fit not wanting to go to bed, learned how to climb out of his crib, yes the crib I just painted! He mastered climbing out, and in, very quickly and within just a couple of days we would play chase every night, I would put him in his crib and as I shut the door he would be already out of his crib and running to the door. We decided to make the crib into the toddler bed, but that didn't work either, he wanted nothing to do with it and instead wanted to sleep in his brother's bed. After some rearranging and musical beds, the two little ones are in the bunk room and the oldest is now in the playroom/guestroom, which meant I HAD to decorate it for a growing boy. I found these shams at Pottery Barn on clearance and knew they would be perfect. The colors are muted and would go well with the two little one's bed quilts if we ever have a true bunk room with another set of bunks in there. The only problem with them is once I had my euro pillows in them, the cover looked way too big and frumpy. I think the flange was a bit too wide and didn't help with the spaciousness of the cover.

So I revamped it a bit. I unstitched the inside stitching {the one that created the flange}, turned it inside out, and re-sewed it smaller , 25x25. I then cut the extra fabric, turned it right side out, and sewed a new stitch to create a smaller flange, about 1/4 of an inch this time.

No more frumpy-ness.

The back had an envelope closure with no ties, that didn't help, so I created some ties strings, attached them, and now I can make the pillow fit tighter and look fluffy and full.






Now I just have the second one to finish.

A few more finishing touches for the room and I'll share how we transformed the space for him, and the transformation of the other room too.

~Meg

{linked to some of the parties below}
UndertheTableandDreaming freckled laundry Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up     party! Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Furniture Feature Fridays Visit thecsiproject.com giveaways Transformation Thursday My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
The Lettered Cottage
{Primp}

Photobucket The DIY Show Off The DIY Show Off toomuchtime

3 comments:

Candy said...

Aren't you smart. I love the colors in that sham. I don't sew, at all, but you make me wanna go out and buy a sewing machine.

I've just become your newest follower. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and hopefully you'll follow back. 8-)

Sarah said...

Nice job--looks like it was made that size. Funny that I have this bedding too! Maybe I'll be inspired to repurpose it now that I'm not using it anymore.
Sarah @ My Project Bag

Sarah said...

OMG, I'm dreading the day mine figures out how to climb out of the crib!! Sorry the toddler bed didn't work either but glad you came up with a solution. That pillow is awesome!!