Monday, April 14, 2014

Evan's faux zinc dresser.

The other day I shared our new little guy's nursery with you and said I would write more about the dresser that was in the reveal. I LOVE this dresser and how it turned out!


I ventured to the thrift store in hopes to find an old dresser with details and in good condition and of course a great price that I could re-do for the nursery. In the first store I went in to I found this... the price? $30! It wasn't in great condition but all the drawers worked, there wasn't much damage to it and it was the perfect size. The only thing wrong with it is there was a small piece of the veneer missing from one of the top back corners. I really could have left it alone as no one would have seen it once it was styled with accessories, however I never leave well enough alone.


I decided I would try to peel/scrape the veneer off and ended up stuck with this! At this point I began to freak out, mind you I was 7 months pregnant and very emotional at this time. If you follow me on instagram you may recall me outburst for help. I ended up on Pinterest to see if there were any tricks to getting this stuff off and that's where my saving grace came! I read another DIY that had this same issue and what they did was place wet towels on the veneer and let it sit for an hour or 2, I let mine sit all night, and then peeled/scraped it off. The moistness from the towel loosens the glue so it comes off like butter, most of it anyway. I had to "soak" some areas that were really stuck but it eventually came all the way clean!


 I had seen a few zinc finished dressers floating around and decided I would go that route {after trying out a few different colors and not liking them}. I first painted my dresser a medium/dark grey I had laying around {that I made into chalk paint}, then used some clear and dark wax, silver craft paint, a brush, and a rag to get the effect I wanted.


First drop some silver paint on the piece {don't put too much on at once because it tends to "stain" where you dropped it if you're not fast enough to work it in}.

Then get some clear wax on your brush.

And dab the silver spots all over so it looks like this.

Then I brushed it around to get this effect.

And kept adding more clear wax to smooth it all out so it looked like this.

Because I wanted more even splotches of the light color, I put a little silver onto my rag and with a circular motion added it to some areas like this.


This step gives it more of that zinc finish I think. This picture shows this step having been done on the left side of this drawer but not the right side yet.


Then I tried some dark wax on one drawer and decided I liked it {top is with dark wax, bottom is with only the steps above}.


I did the same thing here as above pretty much. Just dabbed some dark wax in areas {using the same brush}, and then with the same rag going in a circular motion, rubbed it in. If you happen to use too much dark wax, just rub some clear over it and it helps to spread it out a bit and make it not look so strong.


Here is the drawer above after it's been blended.


And here's the finished dresser and some detail shots.











I choose to use the original hardware, mainly because I was too tired and lazy to look for anything else, and because I thought it looked ok with the new finish. I may eventually change it out. I love how it's a style he can grow with and even when he hits the teenage years it will still work {but we're not going to think about that day right now!}

Any fun new finishes you've experimented with lately and love how it turned out? Do tell!!!

Meg



Saturday, April 12, 2014

Evan's nursery

I'm such a bad blogger I know. But hopefully I can get back into a normal blogging routine again as we settle into our new life with another little one. The nursery isn't 100% done but it's about 90%. If this were our house the blue carpet would have been long gone in a heartbeat but as renters we can't do that. We did paint and added a feature wall with some contrast behind the crib. I made the bumper after seeing this post from Katie and knowing that was exactly what I had in mind for my new little man. The dresser is a refinished piece picked up at a thrift store {I'll have more on that in a later post}. The "mobile" was also handmade, and the curtains were given some trim banding to go with the cribbing.


The currently blank canvas will hold his monogram once I get around to making it and tacking it up on to it.

 

 


This little musical bear has now hung on all 4 of the boys' cribs. I'm hoping it will be around for grand kids to enjoy one day too...

 





 

 










The art in the gold frame was found at HomeGoods and reminds me of the lake downtown and all of the swans and ducks that live in it. It's one of our favorite places to hang out. We used to live a block away from it and my in laws still do. The next 2 pieces were finds from thrift stores years ago. And the large fish piece is a sheet of Cavallini gift paper that I framed.





These are the favorites of all of our books... you may be able to tell by how abused loved they look.


The rocking chair used to be my great grandmother's, then my grandmother's, and now mine. I'm so happy to have this piece to rock my babies in. {still deciding to refinish and how, and I need a cushion}.


And here's our little man. Evan Ashley, born March 1, 2014. We are so in love we can't stand it! So far he doesn't seem to mind the craziness that goes on in our household and life, which is good because it's a whole lot of craziness over here!!

Be back soon... I hope!!!

Meg